To do this, I will be taking insights from Forbes‘ 2022 Ranking of The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
Forbes annually conducts a ranking of what they term The World’s Most Powerful Women. From 195 Countries in the World, Women from just 28 Countries made it on the list. United States of America recorded the highest entries of 50 women followed by India with 6 women, China with 5, Germany and Australia tying at 4 each, the UK coming in at 3, France, Singapore, Japan, Indonesia, UAE, and Nigeria at 2 women each and the rest of of the countries at 1 each.
Africa had just Nigeria and Tanzania on the list with 2 and 1 women represented respectively. We are proud of our powerful women Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Mo Abudu, and Samia Suluhu Hassan.
The average age of all the women on the list was 58 years old, with the youngest being Taylor Swift at 32 years and Nancy Pelosi at 82 years both from the USA.
The following are the 12 categories used by Forbes and the entries each received; Business (30), Entertainment (1), Entrepreneurs (4), Finance (12), Impact (2), Lifestyle (2), Media & Entertainment (12), Money (4), Philanthropy (4), Politics & Policy (22), Technology (6) and Venture Capital (2).
So, from the above, the following are the 5 things that make women powerful. Close examination of these factors reveals that what makes women powerful is not different from those that make men powerful, the only difference is men are still dominating in several sectors at present.
Here we go;
1. INFLUENCE: One critical thing that makes a woman powerful is her reach and influence in the society, nation, continent, and world at large. Influence is the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself. Powerful women, by their position, role, or function have influence over others; their mindset, and their actions.
2. WEALTH: Money is powerful and anyone that has lots of it tends to be powerful as well. Powerful women control the vast wealth in the billions. On the Forbes List, there are 39 CEOs, 10 Heads of State, and 11 Billionaires controlling a combined wealth of over 115 Billion Dollars.
3. IMPACT: By the roles, most women play in their lives, countries, and the world at large; a tremendous impact is made daily in the lives of millions of people. Through policies, various interventions, philanthropic activities, and business, these powerful women positively impact so many people’s lives directly and indirectly.
4. INSPIRATION: By what these powerful women do, they inspire millions of people who push themselves to be and do better, to challenge the status quo, to advance in their careers, to pursue unchartered waters, to break the glass ceiling, to build giant businesses and to do so much good in this world.
5. LEADERSHIP & RESPONSIBILITY: Some of the powerful women on the list are leading and responsible for legislation, policies, programs, businesses, countries, and initiatives that impact billions of lives. The No. 1 woman on the list Ursula von der Leyen, The President of the European Commission, EU is responsible for legislation affecting more than 450 million Europeans.
These are the 5 things that make a woman powerful; Influence, Wealth, Impact, Inspiration Leadership & Responsibility. Congratulations to the 100 Powerful Women and the many other women in various countries around the world, who by these 5 things are powerful and making the world a better place for women, children, and men every day.
Are you a woman who desires to be powerful and make an impact? Join the One Goal for 2023 Campaign here: https://ekowmensah.com/onegoal2023/ and get access to the support you need to achieve your goal from me and other mentors, coaches, and consultants.